Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where has the time gone????


12 years ago today, I became a mother for the first time. Our oldest son Blake, was born October 2, 1996 in Honolulu HI. I had to put where he was born because he thinks it is so cool that he was born in Hawaii. It is so hard to believe that he is 12. It's even harder to look at him and think that he is only 12 because he is almost 5'7 and wears a size 11.5 in men's shoes. Anyway, as I reminisce of the day he was born, I remember being scared to death. For starters, we had only been in Hawaii for 2 months so I didn't really know anyone, my family and friends were an ocean away, and I was about to become a mom for the very first time. Oh, and Matt was getting ready to deploy with very little notice. (I have a strong admiration for military wives having been there done that). On the morning of October 1, being overdue for 10 days already, I went to the doctor for a routine stress test and was told that I was having contractions. "Really, that's what that is?" This was early in the morning. By 5 that evening I was on my way to pick up Matt from work and I still don't know how I made it there because by that time, I knew that I was having contractions. After I picked up Matt, we stopped to get a bite to eat and went home not really knowing what to do. By about 10:00 pm we were headed to the hospital as there was no way I could wait it out any longer (or so I thought). Once we were there we were told that I was only dilated to 1cm and that I should walk for a couple of hours and come back. They were not allowed to admit me until I was at least 4cm. Okay I thought, lets walk. After a couple of walking and stopping to hang on Matt with every contraction, I was sent home to wait and walk some more. By then it was about one in the morning, so we went home to try to get some rest and wait it out (again). Around 5 that morning, we headed back to the hospital because by this time I was sure I had to be at least a 4. Right? Wrong! Nope, I was only a 3 and of course they could not admit me until I was at a 4. Great, more walking. After another hour of walking, I was finally admitted. I don't think I had ever been so happy to be admitted into a hospital as I was at that moment. I just kept telling myself that things were going to get easier once I had the epidural which by the way, I was told I could not have one until I was dilated to 6! Seriously!! So, after finally getting the epidural (which obviously was invented by a woman), I did get some rest. At 5:45 on October 2, 1996 Matt and I welcomed out first son, Blake Matthew into our family.


So, with all that being said, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLAKE! You are turning into such a great young man. You are handsome and smart just like your dad. You have a great sense of humor like me (thank goodness). You get your musical ability from your dad, and your love for books from me. You are inquisitive (which we all love). You are talented and creative. You are a fantastic football player. You are patient, loving, and caring (most of the time) with your sisters and brother. You are a great role model for your brother and sisters as well as other younger kids. You are mature beyond your years. But most importantly, you are a terrific kid and an even more terrific son. We love you and cannot wait to see what the next year brings. My birthday wish for you is that you get everything out of life that you want, and that you are happy and succesful with whatever you do.

No comments: